WELCOME! As mentioned earlier, this blog was created as part of a class project. The class, "Crafting the Vision", combines original photography and writing. I had always enjoy writing (especially poems) and taking pictures...but I had never put them together. Now I realize that I do enjoy crafting MY vision.
Some of the poems are serious, others are funny, some are in Spanish, some in Latin, and some make no sense at all. So, if you found this blog, you are either in the class, bored to death, or I begged you to check it out. Regardless of how you got here, your input is welcome.

Gracias por la visita!

-Emilia

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

TYPO (GRAPHY)

Until I saw the movie "Helvetica", I had no idea how much work went into designing a typeface. Now, seriously, do typeface designers really have to pay attention to the white space between AND within the letters? And, do some actually believe that "Helvetica" is a corporate and transparent typeface? Corporate transparency- an oxymoron.

With that in mind, I decided to poke some fun at the typography world. The pictures show signs using Helvetica and the poem gives "life" to this ubiquitous typeface as well as other fonts. To be honest, my only experience with anything related to typography was "setting" the letters on my uncle's trophy engraving machine when I was about 9 or 10. He now uses a computerized laser machine to design and engrave his trophies. As for me, my only worry is to find the font that fits my poem's mood (and that is supported by my current version of MSword).

So kudos to all you typeface designers that make our lives more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment