
At 33 I thought I knew a pretty good deal about life (heck, I thought I knew it all by age 15). But then come those instances, moments, or periods in your life when God humbles you to your core and teaches you a lesson. In my case, He used a courageous 6 year old boy named Steven. The poem is in Spanish, and to be honest, I REFUSE to translate it. The emotions are still present, and even a year after I wrote this, I cry.
Steven's saga began in October 2008 with an "innocent" headache, then came the falls, then the diagnosis that no parent should ever hear: Your child has cancer.
Steven had an aggressive brain cancer and he was transferred from Puerto Rico to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee where I met him along with his parents Sharon (an old schoolmate) and Ivan. Needless to say, the next 8 months were spent in hopeful prayer and cherishing every improvement no matter how slight or noticeable.
He underwent two brain surgeries (he already had one in Puerto Rico) and five weeks of radiation. He was scheduled to undergo 5 weeks of chemotherapy and had a couple treatments but his little body couldn't take it anymore.The poem narrates his last month, spent postrated on a bed in the ICU unconscious and connected to a ventilator. He fought valiantly but he lost (or rather we lost) his battle a month shy of his 7th birthday.
I will be lying if I say I was not angry at God for not sparing Steven's life. I was fuming, because every time I looked up to the heavens and asked for a miracle, the answer was always the same "Be still and know that I am GOD". When my anger finally subsided, I realized the blessing and lesson I was given. Steven and his family (particularly Sharon) taught me about the important things in life: he taught me how to live with my priorities straight; how to face illness with trust in God; and how to die...with dignity and the knowledge that you have lived life to its fullest, or better yet for its purpose.
Steven's legacy extend beyond me, he touched so many lives and changed so many hearts that it was only natural that a foundation was established in his name. The Go Gogo (his nickname) Foundation is dedicated to raise awareness about pediatric cancers, provide emotional and financial support for families going through the same situation, and help raise funds for the St. Jude Children's hospital.
I don't think I will ever forget Steven. I must admit that when I feel down I utter these words... Dear Steven, pray for us!
For more information visit www.gogogofoundation.org or www.stjude.org
No comments:
Post a Comment