I took this picture at the Elmira College 2010 Art Show. Angela Niforatos is a very talented young lady whose pottery and drawings immediately caught my attention. I chose this clay piece called "Engagement Ring" because it reminded me of Elizabeth Gilbert's book Committed. However, I must disagree with Ms. Niforatos on her view about engagements. It is not the engagement ring that feels like a ring of thorns...it is usually the wedding band that feels that way.
If one consider the business of marriage as the merger of TWO lives, the engagement ring can then be equated with a marketing portfolio or prospectus. The wedding band then becomes the "contract" and as everyone knows, when it comes to contracts, the devil is in the details.
Our media does not help much in shifting society's view of marriage as martyrdom. Celebrities seem to have a short commitment span, and even those marriages that were once considered beacons of marital bliss and commitment have desintegrated (most recently Al and Tipper Gore).
So what is a young woman to do when shown a beautiful prospectus (with at least a carat diamond)? If I can only offer one suggestion it would be this: DO NOT consider his "good" traits! Take your blind fold off and pay close attention to his bad traits. Ask yourself if you can live with those. If you can then go ahead, but if you think you cannot then reconsider. A beautiful wedding gown will mean nothing if followed by a bitter divorce.
No comments:
Post a Comment